Japan Week 1

Japan day 0-1 April 26-27


The three of us spent 10 hours in JAL to reach Narita Airport near Tokyo and another 2-3 hours to fly to Nagoya. I spent most of my time playing phoenix wright and watching initial D on the initial flight. The shorter flight to Nagoya only took roughly an hour to two hours but spent much of its time delayed and taxi’ing on the runway. At Nagoya International Airport we were picked up by Jay and Reiko and endured a relatively relaxed30 minute train ride to Nagoya station where we then transfered to the Sakuradori line where we would live less than a few minutes from the station. After being lost and helped on our way by a friendly citizen who promptly ran into the nearest supermarket to give us directions I preceded to give Jay his letters which had built up to a massive pile since he left Vancouver as well as his palm pilot. We ate at Denny’s and I had baked seafood spaghetti while the others ordered much larger unknown dishes before we all headed back to our individual apartments to shower/bathe and sleep. The night time was warmer than Vancouver, which was a nice feeling, but my exhaustion had made everything seem rather ordinary.


Bonus: Milkyway – When we were there this new band “Milkyway” released their first single and on morning everyday they would appear on the kids channel and perform. Their song is kinda catchy and they don’t look half bad!


First Single: Milkyway – アナタボシ (Anataboshi) : link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExT1Z1PK8ks


Japan day 2 April 28


I realized I had no water so I boiled some water with the machine provided by the apartment. I woke up fairly early considering I did not sleep for almost 2 days, so at 6:30 am I watched T.V. and with Arthur and Vince bought onigiri at convienent store and we ate in my apartment room at 8:00 am. We went to Nagoya station and visited areas around the JR Towers which promptly and I mean promptly opened all at the same time of 10:00 am sharp. A tiny aquaruium in mall was an interesting sight because of the different variety of fishes and the presence of small sharks.
After walking around outside to explore we turned around and went into that tall spiral like building which had food which required a long time to get seats. We then went around outside a little more before eating at a omlet place where we had ketchup rice in egg with hamburger, which was suprisingly delicious. Then we left for Sakae station which had the outdoor alien spaceship like mall called Oasis 21. In that area we saw the Nagoya T.V. Tower and decided instead to visit the highest level of Oasis 21 which had an open water area, with a spectacular view. This would be my first time spending in Japan on items that weren’t food. I proceeded to then buy toy cars from Tomica Shop in which I spent $50.00 mostly as gifts for others. Afterwards, we went to Yabacho Station to see the Parco Mall which was a mall with much clothing items, but mostly aimed towards women. Arthur and I ran off and saw the Gundam museum, and went downstairs to buy tea, before going to Tower Records music store. Finally we headed back home to prepare to go to supermarket and ate at Art’s apartment before returning to my apartment and watching the segment on the black Enka singer, which I had learned about before my trip.


Bonus: Jero, the black Enka singer. This guy had a Japanese grandmother who had made him sing Enka songs when he was younger. Unsure what he was singing he soon grew fond of the music and would sing it at karaoke. Japan caught notice of him and turned him into a star.


link: http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=3695


Japan day 3 April 29


I also woke up early on this day and decided to watch some tv, I ate the Ungai (eel) I got last night from the supermarket and the rice before leaving to Arthur’s apartment. Jason and Andrea were waiting for us at Nagoya station, and we went to register our passport at the hotel office by Nagoya station.
After the ordeal we went back to tower mall and ate Curry, while Jason took Andrea back to her apartment. After eating we then shopping in the Meitetsu building and I bought a car book about how Japanese people modify their cars. Then we finally met up with Jay and Andrea at Bic Camera by the two JR Towers and went to the videogame section to buy a PS3 controller and then toys section to buy some RC cars and models. I ended up spending 110$ worth of toys and 70 bux worth of videogame stuff, and then afterwards we saw Jay off in front of Bic Camera. Finally we went to eat at Dennys shared meal (omlet, ice cream, spaghetti) with Andrea and headed home to rest before visiting the supermarket.
We finished off at Arthur’s eating sashimi fish and rice, noodles and to plan tommorow events.

Bonus: Golden Week


Japan day 4 April 30


Today I woke up early to wake up Andrea. Arthur called us on the radio and we learned Art’s neighbors were Jay’s parents. Food I bought the day before sucked, the yougurt was bitter and so was the coffee. Then we got ready to head to Arthur’s and take the subway to Nagoya castle. We arrived and walked to entrance and bought a 500 yen ticket after going to the wrong entrance by mistake. We bought souvenirs in fear it would be difficult to later on and then headed towards Nagoya Castle and then explored outside and took a few pictures before entering. We exited to eat lunch which included green tea Ice cream and Takoyaki. We then watched students chat and eat and learned more about Andrea while Vince searched for her lost camera bag. We learned we could climb higher into the castle so then went back inside to see the museum and climb to the top. From the top we saw a panoramic view of Nagoya city. I was planning to get a coin but there were too many people to buy gifts. Afterwards, we headed outwards and took pics of garden. Then we went back down to the station to head to Osu Kannon Temple. We took a few pictures of temple then went to eat at a noodle place. I tried the famous Kishimen noodles, which is Nagoya’s most well known noodles and it was a great meal that came with various side dishes and a great classic noodle house environment. Then everyone stayed around in the Kimono shop to buy Kimono’s while i went to explore Osu Kannon. I saw toy stores, electronic stores and gashapon areas. Then we met up again to go to the electronic store to watch the girls buy canera cases. After that we then went out to explore the rest of Osu until it got dark. Andrea and I found a big toy store and anime stores. I ended up buying Ichigo mashimaro toys. In that same store there were a lot of cosplay stuff. When it was late we met up again to have dinner by station at Osu. We ordered again by tickets like at the curry restaurant and I had chicken cutlet and rice with coleslaw on the side. At last we headed back home to rest, shower and relax. I was trying French bread chips and having tea while watching initial D. At the end of the day I was preparing my tripod, and money for Jay’s wedding along with suit.


Bonus: Kishimen noodles are a must if you visit Nagoya. It is similiar to udon noodles, and comes with a variety of toppings.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s